I went a little crazy a couple of weekends ago and spent a small fortune on fruit, vegetables and all things healthy in the supermarket. You could say that’s better than unhealthy cakes, biscuits, etc. But still. I then went to Curry’s and decided to buy a blender on a whim. It was pretty cheap so I’m quite happy with my spontaneous decisions. I’ve actually wanted a blender for some time, I could just never justify buying one because it would be a waste of money (why on earth did I think that?) and we have no space for another appliance. But I did it anyway! It currently lives on the counter top which means my beloved juicer has been temporarily banished to a cupboard and my fancy Kenwood mixer, Aretha (yes, I named her) is upstairs on a dresser table.
So I share with you one of my favourite combination smoothies – blueberry and banana, packed with a whole bunch of other healthy yummy ingredients.
Banana & Blueberry Smoothie
You will need:
- 1 – 2 bananas
- 1/2 a punnet of blueberries
- 1/2 a large pot of natural yoghurt (not the low fat kind, just the regular stuff – you can also use a non-dairy variety)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons flax seed, milled
- 2 teaspoons of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Start by adding your liquid ingredients – almond milk and yoghurt. Add the flax, chia and cinnamon. Turn on the mixer for about 1 minute until the flax and chia become more fine and blended into the mix.
- Add the bananas and blueberries – blend on high for about 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
This can easily serve two or one person for a massive full breakfast option.
And if you didn’t already know, flax and chia seeds are great add-ins for your diet – they contain great amounts of omega 3’s, protein, zinc, and much more.
And now for a silly picture of me with my morning face enjoying my smoothie!