During the week we all want to eat a meal that can be thrown together with ease and doesn’t take up too much time. If you’re anything like me, you’ve been working since 8am or 9am, leaving the house even earlier and don’t come home until at least 7pm (or even 9pm – pony duties are important folks). So by then, you’re hungry, and you just want some dinnah!
This is a slight cheat recipe because I use shop-bought puff pastry, but frankly, I do not have time to make beautiful puffy dough. I suppose if you wanted to make this healthier you could use a philo pastry however, I am all about a delicious flaky pastry topped with lovely roasted veg.
Cherry Tomato, Red Pepper, Caramelized Red Onion and Feta Cheese Tart
You will need:
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded and cut into thick slices
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 320g ready-made sheet of puff pastry
- 1/2 a jar of caramelized red onion chutney
- 250g packet of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 200g feta cheese (I used the barrel smoked variety)
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Toss the peppers in olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet and roast for about 15 minutes, until softened.
- Meanwhile, open out the pastry onto another baking sheet (the pastry already comes with parchment paper already so that saves you having to do another step!). Spread the chutney over the surface of the pastry until evenly distributed.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and arrange over the pastry along with the cherry tomatoes. Then crumble over the feta cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Remove from the oven, scatter with basil, cut into rectangles and serve.
This tart will happily feed six servings or four if you are all very hungry and want seconds! Otherwise, it keeps in the fridge covered up for 1-2 days. I served this with dish with boiled pearl potatoes and a salad of mixed leaves (lambs lettuce, beetroot, spinach – one of those ready packs from the supermarket), chickpeas, artichokes, olives and an omega seed sprinkle.